Conceptualized, designed and developed by the National Council of Science Museums (NCSM), an autonomous institution functioning under the Ministry of Culture, Government of India the Regional Science City, Lucknow is the new addition to the NCSM family. It is one of the satellite units of National Science Centre, Delhi. The Regional Science Centre has been upgraded to Regional Science City and inaugurated on 21st September, 2007.
It is a pioneering institute engaged in the popularization of science in the state of Uttar Pradesh since 1989. The council operates through 27 Science Centres/Museums all over country and Regional Science City, Lucknow is one of them. The centre, since its inception, has received more than 45 lakh visitors.
The Regional Science Centre was the first stepping stone for bringing the enjoyment of interactive science learning to Lucknow. The upgradation of the Centre to the Regional Science City , developed recently, is certainly going to usher in a new wave of learning science in a non-formal mode and in a truly interactive ambience. The express objective of the Regional Science City, Lucknow is to create scientific awareness and temper among the students and public and to supplement formal science education and create interest in science among the students of the region. Curiosity and ability to ask questions is one of the most important features that distinguish man from other species. It is a process through which man tried to understand nature through ages. It has yielded great results and led to the development of science and technology the benefits of which the modern society is reaping.
The National Council of Science Museums functions under the Ministry of Culture, Government of India. The Council is the premier organisation in India for popularisation of science and for creating a scientific temper among our citizens. Here science is learnt by doing it and a scientific frame in the minds of our youth is imbibed when the student visitors actually discover scientific principles themselves.
- Popularization of Science among the general public at large & students in particular.
- Preserving the Science & Technology Heritage of the country.
- Efforts to achieve scientific literacy in the country.
- To inculcate Scientific Awareness & Scientific Temper.
- To organize various educational programmes for the benefit of students, teachers & society.
- Supporting curriculum based education at school & college level by imparting teachers training.
- Encouraging inquisitive minds to inculcate innovative ideas.
- Display & demonstration of progress & achievements in various fields in science and technology.
- “Learning To Do”, “Learn Through Fun” have been chosen as mode of learning.